Between 2014-2018 I published 29 posts on riinudata.wordpress.com. Today I’m converting all of those to my new website powered by blogdown-Hugo.
Read the Migration: From WordPress chapter of the blogdown book.
Get all your wordpress posts into one XML: WP Admin – Tools – Export.
Install Exitwp and its dependencies (
git clone https://github.com/thomasf/exitwp.git
sudo easy_install pip
sudo pip install pyyaml
sudo pip install beautifulsoup4
sudo pip install html2text
This worked on macOS1 High Sierra – I already had
Working in the directory that
git clone created (
- Put the WordPress XML in the wordpress-xml directory.
xmllint riinu_wordpress.xml, worked the first time for me and I didn’t get any errors (so not sure what the fix errors if there are would entail).
- Back in the
- This created folders
build/jekyll/riinudata.wordpress.com/_postsand the content looked like this:
- Move all these into
- Take a copy of https://github.com/yihui/oldblog_xml/blob/master/convert.R to clean these .markdown files up and ready for Hugo. I edited the first three lines, skipped the “Do not run if…” chunk as I’d already done that in Step 3, edited the
authors = c(), did not run the very last chunk (
- Move all of the files (now
content/postof your blogdown repo. Build and voila!
Looks like most of my posts were converted like a charm, with nicely formatted code blocks and images. But I few things I noticed that I think I have to fix:
- GitHub gists are now displayed as links, will make those into code blocks (or embed them using a Hugo shortcodes.
- Most images show up perfectly, but some have gotten stuck in a code block, e.g. showing up as
<img src="https://surgicalinformatics.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/rplot.png" alt="Rplot"/>. Will sort these
Overall I feared a lot worse and am super happy with the conversion experience. Took exactly 3 h.
I’m only 1.5 years late to discover that OS X has been rebranded as macOS: https://www.wired.com/2016/06/apple-os-x-dead-long-live-macos/↩